Legacy data migration is a challenging exercise, often resulting in unexpectedly high outlays for acquisition, support infrastructure, and qualified personnel.
Arbutus Migrate uses a data-driven methodology that reduces both the costs and risks associated with the design and development of legacy data migration projects. Migrate queries the source data directly, with no ETL programming required. Its read-only approach has two main benefits:
- Migrate uses real source data, rather than test data, allowing users to identify and quantify data quality issues at the outset
- Migrate cannot alter the source data, so the integrity of the underlying data is maintained
The technology behind Arbutus Migrate has been used for over 20 years by medium and large organizations to access and convert all types of complex legacy data sources. These purpose-built capabilities allow you to convert source data to the target system’s requirements efficiently and economically.
Key Capabilities of Arbutus Migrate
- All-in-one application means minimal training and start-up time – Just one tool to learn and use for all data validation, cleansing, and conversion tasks
- Not a legacy data migration expert? Not a problem! – Data conversion professionals at Arbutus are available to assist whenever needed
- Flexibility to use other migration tools if required – Arbutus LegacyLink™ technology can seamlessly supply data to other applications
- Will not affect performance of production systems – Data can be moved between different server platforms for quick and easy staging
- Access historical data from decommissioned platforms – Fully compatible with all data set structures and data types encountered on your mainframe, Unisys, HP, or DEC platforms
- Intuitive user interface reduces programming requirements – Over 80 built-in functions help extract and transform even the most complex data sources, including mainframe legacy data
- Easily validate source data – Migrate offers extensive interactive testing and validation tools
- Comprehensive audit trail – The entire data migration process is automatically documented
- Cost-effective – With Migrate, there is no need to use an expensive ETL tool
- Data-driven methodology – Migrate minimizes staffing requirements and allows you to complete projects without the usual labor-intensive IT skills
- Achieve results quickly – Arbutus Migrate sets up in just days
Benefits of Staging the Data
When mainframe resource constraints make direct access solutions impractical, or if Arbutus does not offer a native server for your source platform, Arbutus also enables you to easily offload your processing to our open server on the Windows platform.
Having a central staging platform is also helpful when the project needs to bring disparate data sources together. Data from different platforms can be efficiently brought together for testing, validation, and conversion.
Unlike typical open server implementations, Arbutus’ open Windows server is fully compatible with all data set structures and data types encountered on your mainframe or AS/400. This means that the process of staging data is as simple as a file transfer, with no data transformation required. This movement of data can occur within the Arbutus environment or using alternative processes.
Arbutus Data Migration Services
Our consultants have a great many years of experience in legacy data migration projects involving mainframes and other systems, and are available to assist at any stage of your project. When needed, our consultants typically work with your team and provide assistance in the use of “best practices” with Arbutus technology.
When our consultants become involved, your project timelines become our project timelines, to ensure an on-time and successful completion of your legacy data migration project.