Why choose Arbutus over the competition?
- Built-in continuous monitoring
- Built-in project sharing
- Easily compare names and addresses (data normalization)
- High performance fuzzy matching
- Embedded SQL support
- Fastest performance
- Read delimited data directly
- Seamless application integration
- Enhanced views, including Smart Search and Triggers
- Powerful script capabilities
Note: The following 10 More Reasons to Like Arbutus are aimed at technical or advanced users. Questions or comments? Please contact us.
Arbutus offers Controls Monitoring built right into the base product. There is no need to learn a new tool, transfer data and scripts to a separate product, or purchase additional software. All your tests and results can be stored in Enterprise Shared Folders, allowing them to be easily deployed, scheduled and managed directly from Analyzer. In addition, your scripts can run unchanged in a scheduled environment. Tests can be scheduled for a specified date and time, or for a specified interval (daily, weekly, or monthly, at a specified time).
- Result logs (at left) are shown in the Overview and are color-flagged to indicate whether a particular run was successful (green) or failed (red). You can also programmatically specify a warning condition (yellow) as an alert.
- In addition to the date and time run, you can specify a result (such as number of exceptions), that will show in the Overview, next to the run.
Scheduling a procedure is as easy as updating your calendar:
Arbutus allows any objects to be shared, from tables to scripts, views, or any of the other object types, using Shared Folders. Shared Folders can be implemented around the office or around the world, and allow any number of projects or users to share the same object definitions. This dramatically eases the administration costs associated with deployment across groups of users. Any tables, scripts or other objects can be shared:
- Share common tables, ensuring that all users share the same definition, as well as minimizing the difficulty of editing or adding to the set
- Share common procedures, ensuring that these can easily be accessed by all users. This shared storage location minimizes deployment issues related to add/change/delete of procedures
- Shared procedures automatically appear on the menus, maximizing accessibility
- The Share menu item provides everything required for Shared Folder management
When comparing names and addresses, the most important aspect is to remove the immaterial differences. This is a process called “Normalization”. For example, one address might use “Avenue”, while another uses “Ave.” With one simple function call, you can normalize most names and addresses.
Unique Arbutus normalization capabilities include:
- Normalize function automatically eliminates most common differences when comparing names or addresses. This allows the strings “#200 – 1234 Main Street” and “200-1234 MAIN ST.” to match exactly (“200 1234 MAIN ST”) with no fuzzy required. Normalization automatically addresses capitalization, punctuation, and more. Also, integrated substitution tables allow the elimination of unnecessary words (like “Suite” or “Mr.”) as well as whole-word substitutions of any number of common abbreviations and misspellings (i.e., Avenue, Ave., Av,. …), standardizing on a single value.
- SortNormalize function takes Normalize one step further, arranging the normalized words in order. So strings as different as “#200 – 1234 Main Street West” and “1234 W MAIN ST, Suite 200” can match exactly
- Compact function removes extra blanks in the middle of a field, improving the comparability of user-entered data
- Arrange function eliminates differences due to transpositions, by sorting the characters in a field, so “604 437 7872” becomes “8777644320”
4. High performance fuzzy matching
Arbutus features more powerful fuzzy matching capabilities than any other audit tool, and is, by far, the fastest tool available. The performance is so much faster than the competition that it is hard to compare. Arbutus can find fuzzy matches in a million record file in seconds, where other products take hours or even days to perform the same analysis.
Normalize Data Before Fuzzy Matching
When analyzing data such as names or addresses, it is usually more effective to cleanse the data prior to doing any fuzzy matching. Functions in Arbutus that are ideal for normalization include Normalize, SortNormalize, Compact, and Arrange:
- Normalize: capitalizes letters and standardizes punctuation, allowing strings such as #200 – 1234 Main Street and 200-1234 MAIN ST. to both become: 200 1234 MAIN ST (see screenshot below)
- SortNormalize: takes Normalize one step further, arranging the normalized words in order, so that strings as different as #200 – 1234 Main Street West and 1234 W MAIN ST, Suite 200 can match exactly, becoming 200 1234 MAIN ST W
- Compact: removes extra blanks in the middle of a field, improving the comparability of user-entered data, so that Jane Smith becomes Jane Smith
- Arrange: eliminates differences due to transpositions, by sorting the characters in a field, so 604 437 7872 and 604 437 7782 both become 8777644320
Other Arbutus fuzzy matching capabilities include:
- Duplicates Near, Duplicates Similar and Duplicates Same-Same-Near allow simple duplicates testing at astounding speed. Test for same vendor, same date, same amount and similar invoice number with just a few clicks. Testing addresses, like same city and state with near address, is easy to set up and can be performed on large data files in seconds.
- Difference function calculates the Damerau-Levenshtein difference for string comparisons. This is significantly better that straight Levenshtein, as it treats character transpositions (i.e., 123456 vs. 124356) as just a single difference, not 2, significantly reducing false positives
- Near function identifies ‘close’ items for any type of data. This uses Damerau-Levenshtein for character fields, but can also be used to identify close dates and amounts
- Similar function is a special variation on Levenshtein comparison, designed to identify items that “look” similar. For character fields, it removes all non-alphanumeric data before comparison and also accounts for similar looking characters (I and 1, for example). For numbers and dates, it is used to look for transpositions of digits or very similar looking numbers
- Listfind function is an easy way to look for any of a set of values. The values to be searched are stored in a simple, easy to maintain list. There is no limit on the number of terms you can search for. This can be used for PCard audits as well as FCPA testing. It’s as simple as Listfind(“FCPA List.txt”) to find all instances of the indicated words.
Watch the ArbutusAudit tutorial video, Fuzzy Duplicates in Arbutus Analyzer Audit Software, on YouTube:
5. Embedded SQL support
Arbutus allows you to embed any SQL Select command directly into your analytics. You can use this technology to analyze, combine or compare data from the same, or disparate, SQL environments. Leverage the power and ubiquity of the SQL language to retrieve your data, while at the same time having access to all of the analytic power of Arbutus to produce powerful results.
The SQL command can be placed anywhere in an Arbutus script, and supports any SQL Select statement that is valid for the target system.
Watch the ArbutusAudit tutorial video, The SQL Command in Arbutus Analyzer Audit Software, on YouTube:
6. Fastest performance
Arbutus provides unmatched analytics performance by matching or exceeding the competition in every category. Depending on your task, Arbutus can be dramatically faster in numerous ways:
- Import XML over 70 times faster
- Import Delimited data instantly, since there is no need to convert
- Fuzzy match large files in seconds
- Import and Export spreadsheets 200-300% faster
Download the PDF for more information: Benchmark Results: Arbutus vs. The Competition
7. Read delimited data directly
Any delimited file, of any size, may be read directly without data conversion:
- No waiting to convert files; data is instantly available
- No duplication of data
- All delimiters supported (TAB, comma, pipe, etc.)
- Table definitions can be easily adjusted to support new data
- Table definitions can be tested against new data with the Verify command
8. Seamless application integration
Arbutus offers the widest range of application integration capabilities, using Export. These allow seamless integration with virtually any application. In addition to all the standard Export data types, you can:
- Export ODBC supports output directly to any database. This not only allows integration with any database enabled applications, such as visualization tools, dashboards or audit management tools, but also allows integration with data marts.
- Export to multiple tabs in Excel spreadsheets. Unlike other products, you can overwrite and even append to existing spreadsheets, allowing automated integration with any spreadsheet.
Watch the ArbutusAudit tutorial video, Exporting Multiple Tables to Excel in Arbutus Analyzer Audit Software, on YouTube:
9. Enhanced views, including Smart Search and Triggers
Arbutus Views include powerful new capabilities that allow you to get the most out of your data, including:
- Arbutus Smart Search can best be described as “Google for your data”. It allows you to instantly search for any term(s) in your data, automatically creating an appropriate filter. You can search the entire record, or select exactly which fields to look in. You can even search in related tables. In addition, any type of field may be searched, so you can look for dates and numbers as well.
- View triggers allow you to highlight individual cells in your data, based on your own criteria/business rules. Each trigger has its own color (either text or background) and any number of criteria may be specified. With Triggers, you are automatically alerted when your data may need attention
Quick filter Near allows you to instantly identify all records that are near a selected item. This operates on character field using the Levenshtein distance, or on numeric fields or date fields by finding values close to the selected item
- Thin filter optimization dramatically improves the performance when viewing data using filters that exclude most records, resulting in a much smoother behaviour. This allows you to quickly identify the valuable data nuggets without worrying about performance
- When you specify a thin filter, what happens when you page down (or up)? With some products, the view barely changes. With Arbutus, you always get a full screen of new data. This allows you to navigate your data in a natural way, regardless of how restrictive your filter is
Watch the ArbutusAudit tutorial video, Enhanced View Capabilities in Arbutus Analyzer Audit Software, on YouTube:
10. Powerful script capabilities
Arbutus includes a wide range of capabilities to support analytics automation, including:
- “Lock” scripts, so they can’t be viewed or edited: This ensures your scripts are safe and protected – watch the video below to learn more
- Embed scripts inside scripts: This allows you to write truly modular scripts; any number of sub-scripts can exist within a single script – Learn more
- Enhanced Dialog boxes allow broad user input: Specialized controls allow file selection dialogs, as well as numeric-only and date-only fields. In addition, dialogs can optionally “time-out”, allowing the scripts to continue with the defaults if you have stepped away
- Scripts independent of preferences: Any settings changed while a script is running are automatically reset to their previous value on completion. You can now set the preferences in whatever way is appropriate for the script, without affecting the user’s environment. If you SET SAFETY OFF, for example, there is no need to reset it at the end, as this will be done automatically
- The SET DEFAULT command can be used in a script to ensure that the settings are at the factory install values. This is an easy way to ensure that your script runs with known settings. These values will, of course, be automatically reset to their previous values at completion
Watch the ArbutusAudit tutorial video, Enhanced Procedure Capabilities in Arbutus Analyzer Audit Software, on YouTube: